By MICK ROBERTS ©
WANIORA Point, the parkland fronting Bulli Beach was for the early part of last century known locally as Point Peter or Floyd’s Point.
Peter Floyd, son of Bulli publican and butcher Jack Floyd, inherited 20 acres of land fronting Bulli beach, stretching westward to the South Coast railway, between Owen Street and Farrell Road, north to Bulli Park during the late 19th century and early 20th century. His farm house sat on the hill, off the northern side of Farrell Road.
Just months before his death at the young age of 47 on April 17 1913, Peter donated three acres or 1.2ha of land fronting the beach to Bulli Shire Council for public recreation. It wasn’t Peter’s first donation to the Shire, with the wealthy bachelor giving land for a road on the eastern boundary of his property to access the Bulli sea baths.
Shortly after his gift in 1913, Bulli Shire Council supported the subdivision of Peter’s large farm into “eight desirable building lots with frontages to Farrell’s Road and Owen Street”. He died in Bulli Hospital before his property was subdivided and was later sold off by pioneering real estate agent and executor to Peter’s will, Henry Cotterell.
The Bulli Shire president reported to Council in January 1914: “While on the subject of the parks, I must refer to the splendid gift made to the council by the late Peter Floyd Esq., of about three and a half acres of land at Point Peter. It must be admitted by all that this is a very valuable asset. As funds will permit the Council should consider the advisability of erecting a kiosk on this point, which by letting would be a good source of revenue, besides supplying the many residents and visitors who frequent the place an opportunity of obtaining refreshments.”
A suggestion was made by both the Bulli Shire Council and the Bulli Progress Committee in 1915 that a “tablet” be placed in “Peter’s Reserve” acknowledging the cattle farmer’s generous donation to the people of Bulli. This seems to have never eventuated. Maybe it’s time our current civic leaders followed through on the suggestion.
The South Coast Times reported on January 20 1928: “Visitors from all parts of the world have been heard to express delight at the wonderful views and facility for pleasure available at Point Peter. It would be a gracious act on behalf of the people of Bulli if some something was erected pointing out to the visitors that the beautiful reserve was given to the people of Bulli and the general public, by the late Peter Floyd. Wealthy property owners in other parts of the Shire have made the public pay high prices for reserves that were practically worthless; where as a public spirited citizen like the late Mr Floyd gave freely to the public a most valuable building site.”
© Copyright, Mick Roberts 2014
Boxing Day at Bulli.
The subdivision of the Bulli Park Beach Estate at Bulli on Boxing Day will mean the turning over of a new chapter for Bulli, and in fact the district generally. With the completion of the new bridge over the creek, for which that experienced builder, Mr. R. B. Cram and brothers were responsible, a capital drive is opened up around the coast with outlet via Park Road.
The gift to the Shire of Bulli by Mr. Peter Floyd, of some 4½ acres of land abutting on to the beach, preserves an absolute sea frontage to the people for all time. Every weekend and holiday sees the traffic along the beach promenade (Trinity Road) increase, and with the area illuminated with the electric light, there will be no more popular resort in the district.
The splendid baths hewn out of the solid rock, prove a great attraction for young and old, being safe for children while providing the high dive for the more venturesome. The point of interest to local or district people is that they have stood aside in the past when other properties have been put to the hammer, and allowed the outsider or non-resident to revel in the bargains going. Land sold by Mr. Cotterell at Thirroul at £9 per lot for a 50 by 150 has, this last week been resold at £3 per foot. And these transactions could be multiplied by scores.
No estate was ever been presented to the public, possessing such advantages as the Bulli Park Estate, and we shall be surprised if the auctioneer fails to achieve the same signal success he has in the past with coast subdivisions.
The terms are easy, and no beach frontages available on either side. The auctioneer informs us he has a free hand, and those who know the auctioneer can form their own conclusions, as to what will be the result.
– The Illawarra Mercury Friday 20 December 1912.