THE Bulli Library opened in the old Bulli Council Chambers in 1948 and operated for over 60 years.
The library, located in two large rooms to the right of the corridor as you enter the main front door of the building, was officially opened in 1948.
With the opening of the new Thirroul Library, Wollongong City Council closed Bulli Library in 2009.
In turn, the Bulli Community Centre was given an extension for their lease to manage the whole of the building.
The South Coast Times reported on Thursday September 30 1948:
NEW LIBRARIES OPENED AT BULLI AND PORT KEMBLA
Two new free public libraries were opened in this district on Saturday. One is at Bulli in the old Council Chambers, and the other is at Pt. Kembla. Site of the latter library is the old Presbyterian Church.
A mobile library of 1500 books – referred to by speakers as the bookmobile service – is expected to operating throughout the northern part of the district by the end of October.
The Bulli Library was officially opened by Mr. K. A. Cameron, chairman of the Joint Coal Board. Mr. G. C. Remington, acting chairman of Library Board, N.S.W., officially opened the Pt. Kembla Library.
Most modern equipment and an excellent selection of books were found on inspection of both libraries.
At Bulli there are some 1500 books and at Port Kembla, 1700. Both libraries include children’s sections. Miss Hay, of Bulli, and Miss M. Miller, of Wollongong, will be in charge of the Bulli Library.
At Port Kembla the library will be under the direction of Miss J. Maude, of Dapto, and Miss B. Green, of Wollongong.