The Theatre Royal, Bulli

ON the corner of Hopetoun Street and the Princes Highway, where Bulli meets Woonona, is a large building that currently trades as a gymnasium exclusively for women. The building originally opened as the Royal Theatre in 1924. The silent film, Lilies of the Field, was screened to a selected audience when the theatre opened in…

The Salvos come to Bulli

  By MICK ROBERTS © YOUNG William Walker would have been looked on as a curiosity by his school mates at Bulli in the 1880s. Although William was like most other adolescent boys growing-up in the mining community, he was looked at differently because he belonged to a Salvationist family – a new religious order…