Bulli Pass Touring Car

THE “WHITE 50” DE DUXE TOURING CAR (BODY BY SMITH AND WADDINGTON), OPERATED BY MR. NORMAN DAY, OF COOGEE, IN CONJUNCTION WITH THE N.S.W. GOVERNMENT TOURIST BUREAU. IT IS USED FOR DAILY TOURS FROM SYDNEY TO BULLI. – Sunday Times Sunday 30 December 1923 

Bulli Public School’s William Evans

Mr. William Sydney Evans, has been President of the Northumberland Master Bakers’ Association for 17 years. Born at Teralba, he was educated at Bulli Public School, Woonona School for Mines and Newcastle Technical College. He started work as a fireman and engineer driver at Bulli colliery and later at Coledale coke ovens, Portland Cement and Cardiff…

Woonona Bulli Soccer 1954

Members of Woonona-Bulli Soccer team assembled on Broken Hill station after winning the £200 knockout tournament. (Back row – O. Lewis, M. McPake, G. Edmond, T. Fowler, J. Morgan. Front row – A. Bulland, A. Graham, J. Bracewell, T. Arnall. Woonona Bulli Soccer club officials S. Newton, J. Davis, A. B. Mann and W. Chadban,…

How the billy got its name

THE story goes that the humble “billy can” got its name from the goldfields. In the early days of the diggings in NSW and Victoria, the miners consumed considerable quantities of tinned foods. One particular brand of beef, in big round cans, was known as “Bully Beef”. When the meat had been taken from the…

Scarborough Wombarra Hall opening

At the official opening of the new Scarborough-Wombarra Hall last Saturday. In this photo Lin Wilson turns towards the camera as she presents a floral spray to Mrs. A. Squires. In the photograph, from left to right are Ald. A. Squires (deputy mayor), Mrs. Squires, Mr. S. Wearne and Mr. H. Sweeney, chairman. – South Coast Times…

Melbourne Cup before television

  BEFORE the arrival of television, the picture theatres at Thirroul, Bulli and Corrimal were the place to watch the Melbourne Cup. Viewers were treated to the first ever “photo finish” when they gathered at the district’s theatres in 1948. The year also seen the youngest jockey win the race at just 15 years old. Rimfire,…

Handing over the keys

Official handing over the Bulli Railway Station keys to the Black Diamond Heritage Centre, September 23 1990. From left: Lana Chilby (near door), Rita Roberts (Black Diamond Heritage Centre life member), Bulli Station Master, Tom Mumford and Sharon Crawford on the eastern or downside platform. Photo: Mick Roberts Collection.

New Name For Lower South Coast Road

THAT scenic route hugging the rugged coastline between Bulli and Helensburgh, could have ended up with the somewhat unimaginative title of Ocean Drive, or had the Lawrence dropped from the beginning of its title, during debate over a new name for what had been known as the Lower South Coast Road. Bulli Council decided on…

The Bulli Boat Sheds

By MICK ROBERTS © FOR over 120 years the boat sheds at Sandon Point, Bulli have provided a place for anglers to store their vessels. This is the story of fishing at Sandon Point and the boat sheds that have remarkably survived countless storms, fires, and government regulations. The Sandon Point sheds are all that…

Paper boy’s whistle falls silent

By MICK ROBERTS © LIKE most towns and suburbs across Australia, the sound of the paper boy’s whistle has fallen silent on Bulli’s streets. Changing attitudes towards the way in which we devour news and information, has lead to the demise of both Bulli and Woonona newsagencies, and with them have gone the ‘paper boy’.…

Traffic Block

A CORRESPODENT directs attention to the condition in which the Princes Highway, from Slacky Flat, Bulli, north has been reduced to, in the course of reconstruction. There is only passage for one vehicle. In view of the traffic of the Christmas — New Year Holidays to be expected this he contends is a lapse in management. In the case of wet weather the…