Improving the Lower South Coast Road in 1926

The following photographs of improvements works to what was known as The Lower South Coast Road around Coledale and Stanwell Park were published in the Newcastle Sun on September 10 1926. The Bulli Shire Council later rename the Lower South Coast Road, ‘Lawrence Hargrave Drive’ in honour of Australia’s Father of Aviation in 1946. Would you…

Woonona Bulli barbers and hairdressers: The mysterious Fred Williamson

NOTHING remains of Fred Williamson’s hairdressing salon at Bulli today. Where his barber shop sat, Memorial Drive spews a seemingly endless flow of vehicles onto a congested Prince’s Highway, opposite Hospital Road. Eric Francis “Fred” Williamson was operating a hairdresser or barber shop in front of Pritchard’s Music Hall at Woonona as early as 1906.…

Austinmer Surf Club Championships 1937

AUSTINMER SURF CLUB (By Dumper) WITH seven firsts, three seconds and three thirds to our credit we are very satisfied with our carnival last Saturday from a competitive point of view. It is very hard to single out any particular one for special mention except George Luck (top picture, on the extreme left) whose swim…

Take a 1905 slide show tour of North Bulli Colliery at Coledale

The Sydney Mail and New South Wales Advertiser newspaper sent a “special reporter” to Coledale to capture this fantastic imagery of the escarpment coal mine, which was published on Wednesday February 1 1905. Coledale’s first coal mine was opened in 1889 but was abandoned because of problems with underground water. This mine was redeveloped as…